What’s new in dementia this week
February 9th 2018
Ireland: Dementia in the media
1. ‘Dementia: just one hour of social interaction each week has positive results
Ireland: Upcoming Events
1. Upcoming Azure Tours
Inspired by the ‘Meet Me at MoMA’ programme in New York, Azure aims to make art galleries and museums around Ireland dementia-friendly spaces.
Upcoming Azure tours at IMMA will take place on
Friday 2 March, 11.00 - 12.30pm
Friday 6 April, 11.00 - 12.30pm
Friday 4 May, 11.00 - 12.30pm
You can book an Azure tour by contacting Caroline via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01-612 9955 or you can come along as a ‘drop-in’ attendee at the dates and times above.
2. National Brain Awareness Week March 2018
National Brain Awareness week will take place during March 2018.
To keep up to date about events around the country please see http://www.nai.ie/go/brain_awareness_week/events
3. Headspace 2018 March 2nd and 3rd 2018
DNNI in collaboration with Creative Ageing International will host Headspace 2018 on 2nd and 3rd March in Trinity College Dublin.
Headspace 2018 is a two day celebration of scientific and creative investigation into brain health and dementia.
Early booking advised, book through Eventbrite on
4. Research & Healthcare Responses to the Challenge of Brain Conditions 6th March 2018
The Neurological Society of Ireland and The Brain Council of Ireland will host this event on March 6th 2018 on 6th March 2018 in the Science Gallery, Dublin from 9-1pm.
To register for this free event please see https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/research-healthcare-responses-to-the-challenge-of-brain-conditions-tickets-41235977920
5. Medicine, Law and the Older Person, 13th April 2018
Mercer's Institute for Successful Ageing (MISA) and Dementia Services Information and Development Centre will host a one-day event that aims to provide an overview of medicolegal topics on 13th April 2018.
The event takes place in the 1st Floor Seminar Rooms, MISA building, St James’s Hospital, Dublin 8.
To register please see www.medicine-law-olderperson2018.eventbrite.ie
UK: Dementia in the media
1. ‘Daily chats improve lives of people with dementia, study says’
2. ‘Positive attitude could halve the risk of dementia, research suggests’
3. ‘Is your child at risk of brain injury from playing football or rugby?’
4. ‘US care homes over-prescribing drugs for residents with dementia, report finds’
5. ‘Music therapy for dementia’
Worldwide: General news
1. ‘Closing in on a Blood Test for Alzheimer’s?’
2. ‘The extraordinary healing powers of music’