What’s new in dementia this week
March 2nd and 5th 2018
Ireland: Dementia in the media
1. ‘UN convention on disability rights passed by Dáil’
2. ‘Irish team's discovery offers new Alzheimer's therapy hope’
3. ‘People with dementia take a tour of their own long-term memories’
4. ‘Many myths surround dementia’
5. ‘Daddy, dementia and me: how can I tell daddy his son is dead?’
6. ‘New dementia café’
7. ‘Carndonagh musician at ‘Dementia: Understand Together’
8. ‘Reimagining our view of dementia’
Ireland: New publications
1. The Way Ahead
Care Alliance Ireland recently published a new guide for former family carers The Way Ahead.
You can download your copy from http://www.carealliance.ie/userfiles/file/The%20Way%20Ahead%20Web%20SP.pdf
Ireland: Upcoming Events
1. New dates for HeadSpace 2018 Symposium April 27th and 28th 2018
Creative Ageing International will host HeadSpace 2018 on 27th and 28th April in Trinity College Dublin.
Headspace 2018 is a two-day celebration of scientific and creative investigation into brain health and dementia.
Tickets are free, but attendance limited. Book through Eventbrite here
2. National Brain Awareness Week March 5 -11th 2018
National Brain Awareness week is taking place this week.
To keep up to date about events around the country please see
3. Medicine, Law and the Older Person, 13th April 2018
Mercer's Institute for Successful Ageing (MISA) and Dementia Services Information and Development Centre will host a one-day event that aims to provide an overview of medicolegal topics on 13th April 2018.
The event takes place in the 1st Floor Seminar Rooms, MISA building, St James’s Hospital, Dublin 8.
To register please see www.medicine-law-olderperson2018.eventbrite.ie
4. A Clinical Guide to Dementia: The latest advice on preventing, diagnosing, and managing dementia, 25th April 2018
This conference is aimed at doctors working in a range of clinical settings, including acute hospitals, community settings and General Practice.
For more information and booking please see https://www.rcpi.ie/courses-and-events/
5. SPHeRe Conference 2019
The 2019 Annual SPHeRe Conference will take place on Tuesday February 19th 2019 in RCSI from 9.30-5pm.
Further details will follow in the autumn.
UK: Dementia in the media
1. ‘World-leading dementia researchers win 2018 Brain Prize’
2. ‘Son thanks Sainsbury's for 'undeniably' helping with mother's Alzheimer’s by keeping her in a job for five years’
3. ‘Alzheimer’s disease will become manageable like HIV, say award-winning scientists’
Worldwide: General news
1. ‘Getting Past The Shock: Your Aging Parent Has Dementia’
2. ‘If I have Alzheimer’s, will you still read my column?’
3. ‘Does lack of exercise lead to dementia?