What’s new in dementia this week
May 4th 2018
Ireland: General news
1. Applications invited for Dementia Post-diagnostic Support Grant
‘To support the implementation of the National Dementia Strategy, the National Dementia Office initiated a project in 2017 to develop a Dementia Post-Diagnostic Support Framework’.
‘The Dementia Post-diagnostic Support Grant covers salary costs only to deliver post-diagnostic support programmes and interventions specifically cognitive stimulation, cognitive rehabilitation and/or dementia psycho-education programmes. The grant is aimed at health and social care professionals or specially trained personnel who can demonstrate that they have the required skillset to deliver one or more of these programmes’.
The grant call opened on the 3rd of April 2018 and will close on the 25th of May 2018 at 5.00pm.
Application form available to download here http://www.understandtogether.ie/news-and-events/news/Dementia-Post-diagnostic-Support-Grant-APPLICATION-FORM-29th-March-201.pdf
Ireland: Dementia in the media
1. ‘WATCH: Heartstopping moment Riverdance troupe piles into Irish dementia day care centre to give rapturous performance’
2. ‘Mid-life anxiety could lead to dementia, researchers find’
3. ‘My dad’s fight with dementia’
4. ‘Making Roscrea, Co. Tipperary a 'Dementia friendly' town
5. ‘The Emerging Role of Music in Dementia Care’
6. Interview with Suzanne Cahill on her new book Dementia and Human Rights
Listen back here http://nearfm.ie/podcast/?p=26483
Ireland: Upcoming Events
1. Bealtaine Festival 2018
Age and Opportunity’s Bealtaine Festival takes place countrywide throughout May.
For a full list of events near you see http://bealtaine.ie/events_list
2. Registration now open for 8th Memory Clinic Conference 8th June 2018.
Can we prevent dementia? The 8th Memory Clinic Conference will take place on 8th June 2018 in Tercentenary Hall, Biomedical Sciences Institute TCD with guest speakers from Italy, Greece, the UK and Ireland.
Early bird tickets are available until 25th May 2018.
To book your ticket https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/memory-clinic-conference-8-tickets-44908765326
3. Nothing About You / Without You - Protecting and enhancing the rights of vunerable adults iand older people May 30th 2018
This event, organised by Sage, in collaboration with the Institute of Banking, to promote public and professional awareness of the implications of the Assisted Decision Making (Capacity) Act 2015 takes place on May 30th from 5.30-8pm in The Institute of Banking,
1 North Wall Quay, Dublin 1.
4. Living with Dementia in Rural Ireland Conference May 28th 2018
The 3rd Living with Dementia in Rural Ireland Conference ‘Shaping the Vision of Living Independently with Dementia’ takes place on Monday May 28th in The Glenlo Abbey Hotel, Bushypark, Galway.
Worldwide: General news
1. ‘Intergenerational choir helps UVic researchers study dementia’