What’s new in dementia this week
November 2nd 2018
Ireland: General news
1. Caring for a person with a recent diagnosis of dementia
Researchers at NUIGalway are inviting family carers who are supporting people diagnosed with dementia or probable dementia since the beginning of 2017 to take part in a research study.
If you are interested or would like to know more about the project please contact Dr Sharon Walsh on 086 0230772 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Ireland: Upcoming Events
1. Masterclass on Cognitive Rehabilitation
The National Dementia Office in conjunction with Engaging Dementia (formerly Sonas apc) is running a number of one-day Cognitive Rehabilitation Therapy Master Classes during November in Cork, Dublin and Galway.
The Master Classes will be delivered by Mary McGrath, Advanced Clinical Specialist Occupational Therapist, Memory Clinic Belfast Health & Social Care Trust. Mary developed a new evidence-based Memory Rehabilitation Service, which has been implemented throughout Northern Ireland and Scotland.
2. 5th Annual Christmas Fair November 11th 2018
The 5th Annual Homemade Christmas Fair takes place on Sunday 11th November in St John's GAA Club, Ballinteer, Dublin.
Ř2 admission and 15% of all craft sale proceeds will go to towards the Alzheimer Cafés.
3. ‘One Thursday at the Gallery’ Conference November 15th 2018
Dementia Services Information and Development Centre (DSIDC), MISA Creative Life at St James’s in association with The National Gallery of Ireland present ‘One Thursday at the Gallery’. This conference takes place on Thursday November 15th in The National Gallery of Ireland from 9.15am-4.45pm.
To register for your tickets and for further details see www.onethursday.eventbrite.ie
To view the conference programme see http://www.dementia.ie/images/uploads/site-images/Thursday_15_Nov.pdf
Ireland: What’s in the media
1. ‘Hallucinations, tremors and sleep issues: when dementia doesn’t mean memory loss’
2. ‘Care homes ‘resort’ to anti-psychotics for some residents’
3. ‘My Dad was taken off in the back of a squad car. His crime? Dementia’
4. ‘Fear of dementia is a shadow we cannot shake off’
5. ‘Supports to ‘live well with dementia’ do not exist in this country’
6. ‘Dementia homecare: the practicalities, pitfalls and pluses’
UK: What’s in the media
1. ‘'She is looking for memories': love after dementia – photo essay’
2. Alzheimer’s Society UK new GameChanger project
Worldwide: What’s in the media
1. Highlights from the 28th Alzheimer Europe Conference in Barcelona