As dementia progresses signs and symptoms become clearer and the person may:
- Become forgetful of recent events and people’s name’s
- Becoming confused while at home
- Having increasing difficulty with communication
- Needing help with personal care
- Experiencing behaviour changes, including wandering and repeated questioning
It is important for people with dementia to continue to participate in everyday life. Social interaction and continued learning is important to keep the brain healthy possible. Where possible and once it is safe to do so the person with dementia should be encouraged to be as independent as possible.
Please click on the next lesson to explore the progression of dementia in further detail